We just wanted to update you on what transpired last weekend when we had our shopping, wrapping and delivery event on Saturday, 12/6.
Secret Families of Madison County was able to:
- deliver 330 bags of gifts, one for each person living in the household that you referred to us,
- Many of our shoppers gave out of their own pockets, if they went over our $90 per family member budget, just to make sure the families got what they needed.
- give out 68 – $50 Meijer gift cards for Christmas Dinners,
- hand out 68 Bibles,
- deliver 36 live Christmas Trees (donated by Blue Grass Farms), to the families who requested one, with 2 boxes of lights, a big canister of ornaments and a tree stand,
- give a ‘Dr. Wonder’s Workshop’ DVD to each family, donated by Silent Blessings Deaf Ministry (www.silentblessings.org) . Read the amazing story behind this one!
- One of our families had ‘text’ entered by their contact phone. When they were contacted, via text, to talk about starting the interview for their gift list, they wanted to do it only by texting. When they were told this wouldn’t work, they decided to come down to the interviewer’s office and get the list filled out in person. When the family arrived, the interviewer did not realize the parents were deaf. After fumbling around a bit, she printed out the interview form and had one of the parents fill it out. Then she remembered that, across the hall the Silent Blessings Deaf Ministry had an office. Their Executive Director, Reverend Marshall Lawrence, just happened to be in the office that day and was able to translate for the interviewer and family. We call this a God-incidence. We gave Mr. Lawrence our Secret Families’ flyer. Afterwards, he was so touched that he decided to bless all of the 68 families with a DVD.
Please share this great news with others. We hope our families felt blessed this year, because we were sure blessed by serving them.
We are looking forward to spreading more Christmas joy in Jesus’ name next year in 2015.